Our team shape projects that connect communities and impact daily life for millions. Join our Power T&D team as a Quality Advisor based in Boston, Lincolnshire on the Viking Link Project and build new futures.
Viking Link is a 1,400 MW high voltage direct current (HVDC) interconnector, stretching approximately 760 km between Bicker Fen in Lincolnshire, Great Britain and the substation in South Jutland, Denmark.
Balfour Beatty is managing the civil design and build including cable installation (67 km) between the Transition Joint Bay location at Boy Grift to the boundary of the new Converter Station site at Bicker Fen.
Balfour Beatty's scope of works includes:
- Pre-construction drainage
- Haul road/ track way (approx.60km)
- Site compounds (3 x Primary, 5 Secondary and 7 storage)
- Access Bridges (10)
- Duct installation
- Horizontal Directional Drills (98)
- Cable pulling
- Joint bays (59)
- Archaeology, and Re-instatement
On completion, this will be the world's longest interconnector providing electricity to 1.4m homes, enabling the more effective use of renewable energy, access to sustainable electricity generation and improved security of electricity supplies. It will also benefit the socio economy of both countries.
As a Quality Advisor, you will have the following accountabilities:
- Supporting the delivery of Contract, Business Unit and SBU Quality Action Plans
- Support and facilitate Quality management planning (including contract quality plans and industry specific plans e.g. NHSS, gas, water, etc.)
- Challenging current systems and processes to ensure best practice and continual improvement
- Where required support development of appropriate content for the business management system
- Supporting quality related improvement initiatives
- Provide advice and coaching on Quality issues
- Supporting Quality related training to equip the business with the skills to drive improvements in Quality performance
- Interface with audit function to support locally where required
- Support contracts to ensure they are compliant with Balfour Beatty & contract specific requirements
- Where appropriate provide Quality advice to our supply chain
- Where required provide Quality input to the tender development and bidding process
- Production of appropriate reports and management information
- Live the Balfour Beatty Values
- Ensure a relentless focus on Zero Harm
- Support the delivery of the Sustainability 2020 roadmap
- Support the business unit external accreditation process (including ISO9001, ISO14001, OHSAS18001 and industry licences) to ensure it can operate in its chosen sector.
You will have the following:
- An understanding and commitment to Quality Management
- Coaching skills
- Ability to nurture strong relationships with delivery teams and project managers
- Either a CQI Practitioner or willing to work towards practitioner status
- Competent user of modern office computer systems e.g. Microsoft Office
The following are desirable:
- A working knowledge of the sector in which the role is to operate
- An understanding and knowledge of ISO 9001 and Internal Audit
- Has an ability to gather, analyse and evaluate facts
- Pays attention to detail and the ability to see things through to completion
- Can deliver reports orally and written in an objective manner
- Has good interpersonal and communication skills.
Why work for us
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.
Our skilled and dedicated teams deliver a range of proactive and reactive services which support a reliable and safe supply of power flowing to millions of homes and businesses around the world. Our contracts range from 50,000 schemes to 100 million plus major projects.
Balfour Beatty's Power Transmission & Distribution teams work with regional, national and international electricity network owners and operators to provide technical engineering solutions. With experience and expertise across the full spectrum of the electricity grid our teams have capability across overhead lines, cable tunnels, distribution networks and substations. From scoping and feasibility, to design, construction and on-going maintenance, our in-house experts, flexible resources and industry-leading innovations support clients in the development of some of the world's most ambitious power transmission and distribution projects.
At Balfour Beatty we are committed to creating a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture where everyone can be themselves and reach their full potential, not only because this is the right thing to do, but because it makes us a better business. To ensure we deliver on this commitment, we have a UK Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan which sets out the wide range of targeted, proactive, measurable steps we are taking to make this a reality.
To help and support us with our desired commitment to create an inclusive culture we are members of WISE, enei, Business Disability Forum and Women into Construction. In 2020, we signed the Audeliss and Involve Open Letter to demonstrate our commitment to taking key long term and sustainable actions on Black Inclusion. Balfour Beatty is also a Gold Award holder in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.
As a Disability Confident Employer, we are committed to working with people who have disabilities and long-term health conditions to remove barriers for them in obtaining employment. We are also committed to offering applicants with a disability an interview if they meet the minimum requirements for the role.